#8: Green winged Macaw: in Dec 2013 Terry and I visited Currumbin Bird Sanctuary (although I think it has a different name these days) and I photographed a green winged macaw. This is my interpretation combining the confetti technique with inktense pencils, machine thread sketching, trapunto and machine quilting. I had fun.
#7: One of the group travelled to Portugal in 2013 and brought back a wee souvenir for each of us- the Cockerel of Barcelos. We were to derive inspiration from the tiny souvenir and the legend, and produce and A4 work by the 2014 March meeting. This is my effort. Watercolour and inktense pencils, liquitex fabric medium. thread sketching and machine quilting.
#6: Also in October 2013, the group had a mini mandala challenge and as I was not present most of the day carried home a few of the left over pieces – so this is what I did with some of the them – I stencilled the bird and appliqued the off cuts……
#5: In October I went to a workshop “Acrylic Ink Adventure” with Judy Coates Perez via Queensland Quilters – it was a very fun workshop and we learned some new techniques for colouring fabric and making designs and patterns. This piece was started in the class and I completed it at home. I have called it “Free Spirit”
#4: A couple of months ago, we were fortunate to participate in a colour theory workshop with Bernadine Hine http://bernardinehine.blogspot.com.au/ – this is the piece I constructed using her principles of colour selection. Much the same as I would ordinarily do, without so many steps, lol! The first image shows the original photo, the watercolour sketch, and paint colours, cut outs from a magazine, and then the fabrics chosen. After that , I decided I needed a full size (A4) sketch, so made one with coloured pencils. Somehow here I lost the plot and added a sea background, then decided to use acrylic painted tyvek for my rocks, abandoned the idea of fabric for the beak and used water colour pencils to colour the bird!!! and then stitched…. I didn’t end up using all the fabrics I had originally chosen….. maybe I should now go back and make a concerted effort to do just that, and go with the original background of my first sketch!! lol. This piece “Looking for Lizards” is a composite – it’s two views from my front windows! And is an argument for drawing “what you know” as opposed to drawing “what you see”…. Incidentally, I think the rocks are too big…. but only I know that!!! haha! I believe it’s an Intermediate Egret. I have added another photo of the quilt reworked with deeper colour after a critique session with some of the members of TAG – I am not sure if I like it better or not? However it is definitely brighter!
#3: A few years ago I explored making fabric shells, and ran a few classes at that time – Reddy Arts Textile Group asked me to demonstrate how to do them, so the latest technique was fabric shells. This is from a photo taken by my daughter on the beach near Byron Bay NSW.
#2: The next techniques we tried included textile paint and sun printing. I decided to do a wee mock up of my proposed design for our upcoming Bellbirds challenge. Perhaps it needs a bit more stitching – it seems rather incomplete here….
New techniques series commencing September 2012.
#1: Our first technique was image transfer – this one is a bubblejet print out of one of my own photos taken at Woody Point; I used matte textile medium during the transfer process on to white fabric.