Kookaburra fever

The giant amongst the kingfisher family….

First a drawing, then another, and another…. add a bit of paint… and do another………. what if I add a bit of stitch……. that isn’t exactly thread sketching…… and so it goes.

The end of year rush

Last ditch sewing projects before the holidays arrive! Madly trying to get a challenge out of the way…I  have promised myself a few weeks of relaxing and drawing…. camping, canoeing, and minding the dogs…. Bailey my little shadow

IMG_3437

and Charli my patient orthopaedic hardware buddy…. she is coming along well, now managing a couple of 600m walks daily, with a few short bursts around the yard in between…. hates being cooped up, loves sitting outside except when the sun is blazing and there is no shade, or if there is thunder about….. we are 5 weeks down, 7 to go…  then she should be able to tackle the stairs and rejoin the family upstairs… IMG_3439

in the meantime, there is this stitching to do….. currently tackling a small square piece for an exhibition in 2020….. I have a few months to get it finished, but it’s been in the pipeline for a little while, so it’s good to get it done and move on to other things. Red mangroves….

I also have finished my Reddy Arts 2018 challenge, which is destined for another 2020 exhibition… just making the decision about how to finish it…. as an art quilt, or mounted on a canvas….. I am inclined to lean toward the latter….  here it is still in the raw state…. but I think the stitching is finished…. unless I decide I need to add a little more to the rock…

If I manage to do all of these things, I might have some time to consider the 2QAQ exhibition…. or the AQC…. but those deadlines are coming up fast!  Something really magical will have to happen to get something into the AQC…. on the other hand, my weed patch needs some attention, but if we continue to get heatwaves….. that might have to wait until the winter!

Life Amongst the Lilies – textile workshop with Sue Duffy

What a great 3 days. What a great bunch of women! Fantastic workers, having fun creating with their sewing machines. We had a fabulous time, and it was full on. No time to tarry!

The morning teas were exceptional, wow! If you ever have the good fortune to have Brenda Wood as your convenor, you are in for an absolute treat! With her at the organisational helm, this workshop was a breeze and needs met. I believe everyone learned something new, including the tutor!

There was the first day, learning how to lay down a background and getting in some free motion practise, which was needful for some of the beginners in the group who did a fantastic job. Day two was focused on learning how to paint the wee birds and waterlily flowers with inktense or watercolour pencils, and then some thread sketching using stabiliser and embroidery hoops to build and enhance. A bit of applique thrown in, more thread sketching and then this was followed on day three with trapunto by machine, how to make little snowflake flowers and stitch the lilypads, and finally sorting out the layout and composition of the piece.

It was an absolute pleasure to teach such friendly and generous women, who readily shared bits of fabrics and threads when needed, who paid attention and then took what they saw in the demos back to their machines and got on with their stitching. A great group indeed.

Here are a few photos from the three days, with the almost completed work…. lots of happy faces!  it will be great to see some finished projects down the track.

Colour can be fickle

After a brief sojourn up at the Downlands Art Exhibition in Toowoomba recently, I have at last re-hung my Threads of Survival Tetratych: so happy to have it back on the wall. But, Beware!

85838432-698C-4041-A8ED-FC0C28058E03

Originally, I painted the sky background with a dye paint product developed for fabrics, which I would have expected to be stable. It was perfect for getting the right shade of blue and for graduating the sky intensity…. SADLY, it has proven not to be colourfast, and has faded badly in the three years since I made it, and it no longer reflects the intensity of the Australian summer skies. Very disappointing, and  if this fades further which I expect it will do, I am now faced with the dilemma of whether I can save it….. given that I have a lot of areas between the tree branches and leaves to recolour….  Something for the back burner, perhaps.

It is a lesson learned….  I won’t be using that particular product on anything I want to last….

To see how it was in November 2015 click here