Colour can be fickle

After a brief sojourn up at the Downlands Art Exhibition in Toowoomba recently, I have at last re-hung my Threads of Survival Tetratych: so happy to have it back on the wall. But, Beware!

85838432-698C-4041-A8ED-FC0C28058E03

Originally, I painted the sky background with a dye paint product developed for fabrics, which I would have expected to be stable. It was perfect for getting the right shade of blue and for graduating the sky intensity…. SADLY, it has proven not to be colourfast, and has faded badly in the three years since I made it, and it no longer reflects the intensity of the Australian summer skies. Very disappointing, and  if this fades further which I expect it will do, I am now faced with the dilemma of whether I can save it….. given that I have a lot of areas between the tree branches and leaves to recolour….  Something for the back burner, perhaps.

It is a lesson learned….  I won’t be using that particular product on anything I want to last….

To see how it was in November 2015 click here

Who knew?

That excellent satisfaction when a piece of art is almost complete, and all the stitching is done… suddenly there is time and reason to collect all the bits and tidy up, put things away, clear the tables and counters, and breathe! The last few weeks have seen me immersed in an exciting new commission, taking me in a new direction, the art itself directing where it wants to go… we think we’re done, now, though. Just the blocking and stretching to do.

So happy am I to have reached this milestone, I did tidy up, and then gave myself permission to have a wee play with my little Bernina Jubilae 125, which was given to me 50 years ago by my grandmother. Who knew it would be the catalyst for my lifelong love of sewing… and that I am still able to use it all these long years later…  and I can do most things I want to with it…

Just for fun

Today I went back to persevering – for a couple of hours – with the watercolour experience! It’s all pretty horrible. Haha I don’t know, if I get hooked on it, I might improve…. giving it a bash with some free online lessons from Www.ArtTutor.com which I tell myself will help me in my art practice – and even if it doesn’t, I don’t suppose it’ll do any harm!

The main textile work I am currently busy with is a group challenge which was set by the members of our Textile Group (Reddy Arts). I have to run with it, and the criteria are: 60cm square, start with a white fabric, (e.g. a bed sheet) and all commercially purchased prints and hand dyes are forbidden. I am not convinced that challenges are a good thing.

For this I have opted to  use a very old painted and stencilled piece made several years ago and which has been languishing in the cupboard ever since… It started way back in the days of experimentation with new techniques… there were so many possibilities, so many to try, and thus we gave ourselves permission to play which resulted in giving everything a go! Until eventually we ran the risk of becoming technique junkies without a clue where to go from there… that is a trap, BEWARE! (I still get sucked in….. viz: the watercolour painting) So this piece of original painted and stencilled (with various texture media – eg glass beads and structure gel – mixed in with acrylic paints) now altered with cutting and reinvented with stitching, both hand and machine, is planned to feature a couple of birds… (Surprise!)  but is so far from my usual style of work, I believe it will not be recognisable as mine at all…..  but isn’t that what challenges are all about? Exploring new directions?

So onward, I need to go get stitching, painting and whatever!

 

New Look blog

Well, this came about because I wanted my blog to reflect my textile art design direction a little more than previously with the patchwork and quilting craft angle. But don’t mistake me, I still thoroughly enjoy piecing and machine quilting traditional quilts, albeit with a more arty twist – thread sketched applique incorporated into the traditional patterns for example. First I changed the profile name, and there was a lot of agonising over what to call it… straight to the point won out in the end! So my URL address remains the same: ratherbequilting.wordpress.com…

Then, I was dissatisfied with how the old blog pages titles were gradually covering up my header image. The only way I could change that was to change the theme – but this all seems so much more versatile than my old theme, so have been having a lot of fun working it all out! I think it’s sorted and there is still more to learn, but this will do for now!!