My one excuse for not blogging lately, is that I have been SUPER busy… I recently completed a commission, and the idea was that would free my time up somewhat. Here is the completed work, made for the reception area of Kedwell and Co, Accountants in Sandgate, Queensland.
I have been working on some workshop samples for my “Creative Landscapes” Workshop “Life Amongst the Lilies” to be held in October in Redcliffe. Today is the day those were finished, all bar the labels and hanging sleeves. In this 3 day class you will learn to lay down basic backgrounds, and how to pull together a pleasing composition using a variety of techniques to achieve this. Two designs offered with interchangeable elements. To participate, please contact Brenda at 2Sew Textiles.
In the midst of all this, I made a small quilt (below) to enter into “One Red Thread 2018 – “WeatheRed”, at Berry Quilting Retreat which was fun to make and features our local red cliffs and a solitary tree clinging to life as the cliff is weathered away….
My next effort will be a couple of small unicorns, but first I need to make a wedding dress for my younger daughter – that will be fun! If a little daunting, it is some time since I did any dressmaking……
In the meantime, my 100 days project fell by the wayside around Day 60, but I did #62 last night…. I need to try and do some portraits now…. this one done in Procreate on my iPad 9.7 with Apple pencil. I love being able to use the pencil brush and change the colour, size etc. Great practice, although erasing is too easy…..
That’s it for now, have a great month!
Being a member of Studio Art Quilt Associates, I decided this year I would submit a couple of small pieces for auction, to help in a small way to raise funds for the SAQA exhibition programmes, and I guess it is another platform where people will see my humble work….. These are the two pieces – the first, postcard sized, is an Eastern Yellow Robin for the Spotlight Auction, and the second, Silver Gulls, is for the Benefit Auction. I had fun making them. The postcard is already on it’s way to America, if it hasn’t already arrived, and the other will be soon winging it’s way to Lisa Walton , vice president of SAQA who has kindly offered to take the Oceania Membership Group’s donated quilts to the USA.
The past 10 days have also seen me quilt and bind a charity quilt top – one of the Linus quilts – made by another Queensland Quilters member, so I will be handing that back this coming Tuesday at the QQ Inc March gathering. Just a teeny contribution…. and it keeps my hand in just a bit with the machine quilting…
Then there were a couple of tiny miniature pieces I did for fun, that were not birds for once!!! I have had these tiny frames in my stash for years so with a bit of the old crackle medium and acrylic paint I dressed them up a little and made these wee gifts…. 2″ x 2″ and 2″ x 2.5″ respectively!
I have a mind to have a go at the Coastal Threads Art Prize, “Coastal Fringe” if I can get my act together… I have yet to finalise my subject, but with a March 30 deadline I will be on to it this week! Next on the list following that is a commission! Exciting times.
Today I went back to persevering – for a couple of hours – with the watercolour experience! It’s all pretty horrible. Haha I don’t know, if I get hooked on it, I might improve…. giving it a bash with some free online lessons from Www.ArtTutor.com which I tell myself will help me in my art practice – and even if it doesn’t, I don’t suppose it’ll do any harm!
The main textile work I am currently busy with is a group challenge which was set by the members of our Textile Group (Reddy Arts). I have to run with it, and the criteria are: 60cm square, start with a white fabric, (e.g. a bed sheet) and all commercially purchased prints and hand dyes are forbidden. I am not convinced that challenges are a good thing.
For this I have opted to use a very old painted and stencilled piece made several years ago and which has been languishing in the cupboard ever since… It started way back in the days of experimentation with new techniques… there were so many possibilities, so many to try, and thus we gave ourselves permission to play which resulted in giving everything a go! Until eventually we ran the risk of becoming technique junkies without a clue where to go from there… that is a trap, BEWARE! (I still get sucked in….. viz: the watercolour painting) So this piece of original painted and stencilled (with various texture media – eg glass beads and structure gel – mixed in with acrylic paints) now altered with cutting and reinvented with stitching, both hand and machine, is planned to feature a couple of birds… (Surprise!) but is so far from my usual style of work, I believe it will not be recognisable as mine at all….. but isn’t that what challenges are all about? Exploring new directions?
So onward, I need to go get stitching, painting and whatever!
WOOHOOO MADE IT!!! Today, 29th August, is the 100th day of my hands project, amazed that I managed it! Just fortunate to have had the time to do it! So here are DAYS 91 TO 100!!! So glad it’s finished……
Days 76 to 90!!
Days 61 to 75 only 25 days to go!!!
Days 44 to 60…
Days 35 to 43: progress! Keeping up, dare I say it, even a little ahead of myself, I am so enjoying this process!
days 25 to 34….. started to add some watercolour paint, tricky….
The next batch – days 17 through to 24…. almost a quarter done!
So I signed up for the 100 days project – drawing 100 hands bravely… well, if I find the courage to move on to coloured pencils, paint, ink…. eventually stitch and fabric. Aiming to improve my seeing and drawing skills….. we will find out!
Starting with my most recent drawings, here they will appear, a few days at a time… or you can see my work daily, here, at the 100 days project website..